Items Not Accepted
No Plastics are currently accepted from anyone that is not a member of Recycle Livingston
Ink Jet Cartridges
- We no longer accept any ink jet cartridges for recycling. Call Staples, Office Depot, or Cartridge World for details on their ink jet recycling programs.
- We can no longer accept brown, green, or blue glass until further notice.
- We cannot accept drinking glasses, mirrors, perfume bottles, glass shelves or table tops, leaded glass, windows, auto glass, ceramic dishes or Pyrex glass.
- No hazardous material containers of any kind. Nor do we accept 5 gallon containers of latex paint. Check with Habitat for Humanity
- No plastic bags
- No Ziplock plastic bags.
- For more information on where to recycle plastic bags and plastic film, go to www.plasticfilmrecycling.org.
- We cannot accept high heeled shoes, flip flops, slippers, or torn up shoes.
Some Specific Items We Cannot Accept:
- No Water Softener Tanks
- No Barbed Wire
- No Carpeting or Carpet Padding
- No Insulation Foam
- No Smoke Detectors
- No Varnishes, Pesticides, or Chemicals
- No Glossy Snapshot Pictures
- No Furniture or Mattresses
- No Window Blinds
- No Light Bulbs
- No PVC Pipe – even though it may contain a recycling symbol. This plastic is too hard and brittle for our compactors to handle.
- No Foil-like Gum Wrappers
- No Fast Food Lids or Straws
- No Dishes, Glass Cookware, or Drinking Glasses
- No Wood or Wood Products such as Decks, Fencing, etc.
- We cannot accept packing peanuts. Check with a local UPS store as they often accept them for reuse. Nor can we accept Styrofoam Insulation.
- We cannot accept plastic lumber, plastic lattice or mini blinds.
You can contact the Livingston County Solid Waste Program for instruction on how to dispose of many hazardous or difficult items.