Frequently Asked Questions

Where is Recycle Livingston located?

Our address is 170 Catrell, Howell, Michigan 48843. If you're coming down Grand River from Brighton, we are about one mile east of downtown Howell, just off the North side of Grand River. Go under a small viaduct bridge and turn right at the A1 Rental Store. We are located behind the Grundy Ace Hardware Stores. We are almost visible from Grand River, but not quite.

If coming from the West through downtown Howell on Grand River, after the light at National Street, Catrell Street will be the next cross street on the right (once again North of Grand River).

When is Recycle Livingston open for Recycling?

We are open Wednesdays from 10:00 am until 4:30 pm and Saturdays from 9:00 am until 1:00 pm. Office hours vary however the answer machine is frequently checked and calls will be returned as soon as possible.

How much does a yearly membership cost?

For a senior household (62 years of age and older), the cost is $30.00 and for a regular household the cost is $40.00. For a small business membership the cost is $130.00. We can do a quick interview over the phone for a small business membership to see whether or not we can handle the types and volumes of recycling from that business.  Non-Profit Memberships are $75.  

Does my material need to be separated?

Yes, all material must be clean and separated

What kind of container should I use to bring in my material?

Please place all recycling materials in a brown paper bag, a cardboard box, or a reusable container that we can empty and return to you

Can I recycle my television?

We can recycle all sizes of televisions. However, due to the hazardous materials that often include lead, mercury, etc.  in televisions and computer monitors, we have a fee schedule of $25.00 to $55.00 depending on screen size. This charge only applies to monitors and televisions.  

Can I recycle my refrigerators/freezers/air conditioners?

Yes you can however there is a Freon removal charge.  All Freon is removed and recycled.  Member charge is $10 per appliance and for non-members, there is a $15 per appliance charge. 

Does Recycle Livingston pay for metal?

No. We are a nonprofit recycling drop site staffed with mostly volunteers and our funding comes from memberships and the sale of materials.

When is the next Hazardous Waste Drop-off Event?

These events are sponsored by the Livingston County Board of Commissioners and the Livingston County Drain Commissioner. These events are not held at Recycle Livingston. For more information, please call 517-545-9609 or go to their website:

Can I recycle my paint?

Recycle Livingston can indeed recycle latex paint. There is a $3 charge per gallon container and quart size or smaller is  $1.   Oil-based paint should be taken to the Livingston County Hazardous Waste Day. Please call 517-545-9609 to find out when the next drop off date will be.

Do you take fluorescent light bulbs?

Compact fluorescent light bulbs can go to Home Depot or Lowes. Ask at the service desk for location of their collection bin. The tube type fluorescent light bulbs need to go to the Livingston County Hazardous Waste Day or Recycle Ann Arbor. Again, call the number above to find out when and where.

When is the Shredding Day?

Please check our News page for updates on upcoming events such as Shredding Day.

The cost for Shredding Day is as follows:

  • Members can bring in two (2) banker size boxes free of charge with additional boxes $4 per box
  • Non-Members can bring in two (2) banker size boxes for the $3 gate fee
    *For an additional fee of $4 per box, four (4) additional boxes will be accepted
  • Business Members can bring in six (6) banker size boxes free of charge For an additional fee of $4 per box, fourteen (14) boxes will be accepted

If you need to dispose of your material before or after our shredding day, please contact the office for an appointment at 517.548.4439.

Do you take fiberglass water softeners, fiberglass boats or fiberglass insulation?

Please call the State of Michigan Environmental Assistance Center at 810-662-9278.

Do you take swimming pool liners or other vinyl products such as mini-blinds, vinyl furniture?

Again, call the State of Michigan Environmental Assistance Center at 810-662-9278.