In alphabetical order, here is our most up to date list of materials we can recycle:
*Please note that if it is not listed, it is not accepted for recycling.
- Volunteers take gently used American Flags to either the American Legion Hall or Boy Scout Troops for proper retirement.
- We accept stoves, refrigerators, dehumidifiers, freezers, air conditioners, water coolers, etc. A general rule of thumb for recycling appliances is: any item that is 85% metals can be recycled. So this list also contains lawn mowers, gas grills, etc. among other items. However please make sure all fluids are drained out of such metal items.
- For all items containing Freon, members will be charged $10 per item and non-members will be charged $15 per item
- Note: This charge does not increase revenue for Recycle Livingston.
- We accept all sizes of household batteries, lithium, or hearing aid batteries.
- We cannot accept car batteries
- We accept all corrugated cardboard. Please flatten and remove any inner linings from all corrugated cardboard and box-board such as Kleenex boxes. Only place box-board that has a brown/gray color on the inside with cardboard. Box-board that has a white lining belongs with mixed paper. Brown paper bags also belong with cardboard. No need to remove staples.
- We cannot accept plastic or waxy coated refrigerator or freezer containers such as milk containers, orange juice, ice cream or frozen dinner boxes even if the container contains a recycling symbol.
- We accept all makes and models of cell phones and accessories.
- We accept the strings of Christmas lights and there is no need to remove the bulbs.
- We cannot accept just the light bulbs
- New, used, worn, laundered clothing of all types including jackets, coats, sweaters, undergarments, athletic gear, bathing suits, hats, gloves, socks, laptop covers, small luggage, purses, wallets, dress up costumes, jewelry, soft toys, stuffed animals, blankets, sheets, pillows, memory foam pillows, towels, shower curtains, comforters, drapery, mats, small rugs, and more.
- Of course if the item is still in great repair, wonderful! However, stained, torn, worn out clothing or material (think old towels, sheets, rags) are welcome as well.
Confidential Documents: See Document Shredding under Information Tab
- This material can only be accepted at the office trailer for a fee of $.30/lb for members, $.50/lb for non-members on every open site days. This material must be free of any plastic covers or paper sleeves.
- Beginning March 1st, 2016, a recycling fee must now be collected for all electronic items we accept for recycling. Please view the Important Notice for more information.
- We accept only clear glass as of July 6th, 2017. Rinse thoroughly and remove any plastic or metal lids accordingly. We can only recycle food container glass or beverage container glass such as wine, beer, pop, etc.
- We can no longer accept brown, green, or blue glass until further notice.
- We cannot accept drinking glasses, mirrors, perfume bottles, glass shelves or table tops, leaded glass, windows, auto glass, ceramic dishes or Pyrex glass.
Important Change: As of July 1st, we will no longer be accepting 5 gallon containers of Paint due to heavy contamination and a large price increase from our paint vendor E-Paint.
As of July 1st, our pricing structure will be as follows:
Quart Sized or Smaller Containers of Latex paint - $1
Gallon Sized Containers of Latex Paint - $3
Latex Paint Only is accepted. Please call 517.545.9609 for information on how to dispose of oil based products.
- We accept tin cans, aluminum, and all metals combined. Rinse thoroughly and there is no need to remove the labels. Remember, any items containing 85% metal or more is recyclable including appliances.
- We accept most categories of paper and it can be all be combined in the same container. This includes magazines, junk mail, white and colored paper, hard and soft cover books, envelopes, construction paper, manila folders, and non-glossy box-board that is white inside. No need to remove staples, however large paper clips or other metal attachments should always be removed.
- We cannot accept gift wrap, tissue paper, paper plates, napkins, or paper towels.
- We accept all newsprint like paper including phone books, newsprint packing paper, etc. Please keep newspaper material separate from the mixed paper. There is no need to remove inserts that come with newspapers.
Plastics #1 and #2 will be accepted from Recycle Livingston Members Only at this time due to the high cost of recycling plastic and the need to keep it clean and sorted
- #1 Plastic Containers such as water bottles, etc. - must be marked with the #1 recycling symbol and lids attached to the plastic container are acceptable. Please do not bring lids not attached to the plastic container
- #2 Plastic Containers such as milk jugs, detergent bottles, etc. - must be marked with the #2 recycling symbol and lids attached are acceptable. No lids without the plastic container.
- All #1 and #2 plastic must be clean and separated meaning #1 sorted and #2 sorted...not mixed together.
- Absolutely no plastic bags no matter the recycling symbol will be accepted. Please bring your plastic in brown paper bags, cardboard boxes, or a container we can return to you
- Any plastics brought into the site containing non acceptable materials will immediately be returned to you such as straws, lids, any other plastics such as #3 thru #7
- We accept wearable shoes and boots. International Trading Solution sends our shoes to other countries where they are used for walking long distances and to work.
- We cannot accept high heeled shoes, flip flops, slippers or torn up shoes.
- We accept most polystyrene foam in the form of meat trays, cups, restaurant carry out containers, packing Styrofoam, etc. We request that all Styrofoam is rinsed clean of any food debris.
- We cannot accept packing peanuts. Check with a local UPS store as they often accept them for reuse. Nor can we accept Styrofoam Insulation.
- We accept regular vinyl siding in all colors and condition.
- We cannot accept plastic lumber, plastic lattice or mini blinds.
Read the information below:
- No Plastic grocery bags or plastic bags of any kind
- No Plastic water softener bags and dog/cat food bags
- Motor oil containers with the recycle symbol #1 or #2 can be accepted, but they must be empty of oil.
- No Outdoor plastic lawn furniture and/or children’s toys are accepted